Marriage
I thought that this article was
very interesting. It brought out some very valid and strong points. I do
believe that in today’s society marriage does not have the same essence as it
used to 30 years ago. In this generation, marriages are fixed with temporary
emotions and unseen motives. This has resulted into many unsuccessful relationships
and divorces today.
I didn't agree with that marriage is “dying in
America”. Though we see a higher rate in couples cohabiting, marriage is still
very much alive. I think if anything people tend get married, divorce if they
aren't happy and then remarry later again. I think the main thing that has died
is the importance of marriage. People just see marriage as something you when
you reach a certain point in a relationship. And though this can be true, there
is much more to it. You have to being willing to stay with that one person
through thick and thin. I just feel like most people don’t understand that
nowadays.
I
definitely believe that marriage is part of the social structure. I think it
has been tweaked though. People tend get married out insecurities. They feel
the need, for whatever reason, to rush and not truly understand the decision
they are making. In return, couples began to break quick and soon work their
way to a divorce. Society has made it ok for couples to get divorced. Nowadays
you can meet more people who have married more than two or three times. I think
marriage should remain a part of the social structure. I think there are
couples who seem to understand what they are getting into when saying “I do”.
Marriages are important not just for the couples for children as well. A marriage
can be beneficial in a child’s upbringing. Kids who have both parents in their
life tend to be more successful. When a child doesn't have both parents in
their life or has to be moved around a lot to see both parents, this creates a
very unstable environment and lifestyle for a child. They are bound to live an
unstable life as a result because the reality is, is that that is all they
know.
I think that Rivera’s Ideas were
very strong and proven. See use a lot of facts to back her ideas. They were
very well developed and expressed. She makes it very hard to argue against the
reality of marriages into today’s society. In my opinion, I think her Idea on
temporary marriages was good. I agree completely with her Idea. I think a
temporary marriage license is silly. It only supports the idea that divorce is
a good thing. If temporary licenses for marriage were issued out, many couple
can just drop the marriage and be done with each other. In reality that’s not
the way it works. When you are married and decided to get divorce, it can be a
lengthy and painful process. If temporary marriage licenses are issued out
then, that reality is completely hidden.
I think your words are well put. I agree with you, marriage just became something you do....but in reality it goes so far further then that.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you came across these readings! I agree that people marry out of insecurities and rush into something they dont quite understand.
ReplyDelete