Sunday, October 6, 2013


Fast Food

 

                Fastfood has become a major part of many Americans lives over the years and  my family was no different. Since I was a kid, fastfood has always been a major part of my life. And though my mother was always cooking a homecooked southern meal, we also had our fair share of quick and greasy  burgers and fries from Mcdonanlds or Burger King. And it didn’t stop there. Living in Alabama, we had so many different choices for fastfood it was never tiring to eat out. I remember everyday after school, my parents would take m sister and I to go and get a happy meal from Mcdonanlds. For us it was the best thing ever. We would always get chicken nuggets with fires and a sprite. For us, we always looked forward to palying with the toy that was at the bottom of the bag. I also remember when our nanny would take us out to eat on the weekends. She waould take us to a local fastfood reastaurant called the Doo Drop. We loved to go here because of the joyful environment. As kids it was very exciting and they had some of the better food for a fastfood joint. Another one of my favorite restaurants was Sonic. I loved to see the workers roller skating around, taking orders and bringing food to customers. My favorite thing to get there was their onion rings and hot dogs. I could never get enough of their unique way of serving food. At the time I didn’t really pay attention to how I felt about fast food because I was so young. But when I look back at it, I can say I was happy to have those things in mylife. It brought joy and I have a lot of good memories while going to fastfood restaurants.

                Since my childhood was filled with fast food, the habit has continued on to my adulthood. But the circumstances in my life are different. I love eating a homecooked meal. I would prefer that anyday over any fastfood. But I am always forced to eat out. I don’t really have the time cook or really wait around for someelse to cook. Since I’m always on the go, I have to roll through a drive-thru and be on my way. So I very much rely on fastfood to get me through the days of the week. I don’t really have anything against fastfood. For most people it has brought a lot of health problems. And I’m not exempt from those problems but I think with my lifestyle of always working out and staying physically active, that I don’t suffer from those problems. My only problem with fast food is that it slows my perfomance in the gym down. I usually always find a way to push through that but when I really evaluate things closely, I can really see how much better my physical strength and conditioning would be if I would cut back on fastfood. For me its really hard because its always been a part of my life and it’s convenient but I just make sure to use portion control when it comes to eating fastfood.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the types of food Alabama has to offer! I've been to Huntsville, Alabama and there's this place called Ivey's that is just fantastic! Talk about authentic southern cooking and it tastes like it was home cooked. The deep fried chicken livers, fried catfish, and the peach cobbler was just amazing! It's really hard for me to use portion control when I visit Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I always wanted to eat food in Alabama, they are pretty known for that. I think it's great that you got to share that with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have never ate food from Alabama, I think I will add it to my bucket list. My childhood was also very close to fast food too.

    ReplyDelete