My first name, Blair, originated from a Scottish and English origin. It means plain or battlefield which is kind of funny considering I'm in the military. My first name means everything to me. My name has always seemed to be trademark in my life. People always make my name into something funky and its quite entertaining. I would never change my first name. Change my name would be like changing everything about me. I feel like I would have to reestablish who I am. For me my name doesn't really inform me about my heritage but I feel its meaning is relevant to the type of person I am in some senses.
My middle name, Kendall, is of and English origin and means Kent River Valley. Kent River Valley is a place located in the United Kingdom. My middle name to me really isn't that significant. When I was younger, I remember forgetting how to spell my middle name at times. I could never remember if it had one or two "L's". I never really like my middle name but I wouldn't change it though because its a part of who I am. I really enjoy being who I am. With or without the flaws because we all have them. As far as my heritage, I didn't find anything that links my name to my roots or ancestors.
For my last name I didn't find anything through research about it origin or meaning. However my girlfriend has said that in Spanish my name means healing. I'm not sure if the spelling is the same but the pronunciation. As far as where it originated from, I believe that the name comes from Africa. I say this because I get my last name from my father who is from Africa. My last name means a lot to me. It seems everybody on my father's side with this last name has been very hard working. I too have a lot of drive and determination to accomplish the goals I have set in my life. My last name meant even more to me when I found out that it meant healing. I feel like there have been many times where I have helped people around who were hurting or going through pain. I would never change my last name. I feel like it sums up kind of who I am in one word. For me, my last name does give me a clue about my heritage. I feel like in the past, Africans, and African-Americans have worked very hard to get to where they have today. Without their sacrifice and dedication, I wouldn't be here today. I feel they have paved a way not just for me but for many different nationalities to receive fair and equal treatment and rights in this country.
I feel my full name really describes who I am. Well maybe not so much of my middle name but I couldn't picture myself without it. I feel like I have become the characteristics of my name without intention. That for me is no coincidence and it makes me proud to know I'm being exactly who I need to be.
I like how you say you have become the characteristics of your name. It's always fun to find out our origins and sometimes our names gives us slight clues.
ReplyDeleteI agree when you said if you changed your name it would be like having to reestablish who you are. I totally agree because I believe a person embodies their name.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog about your name. I think its cool that your name fits you so well. Great job on your blog!
ReplyDeleteBlair sounds very masculine and at the same time very unique! It fits you very much so, since you're in the military. For your last name, are you referring to Sannoh? It's been thought that it might have come from a shortened religious phrase that means "Grace of God."
ReplyDeleteThats wild, 'battlefield' coincidence ? Its crazy how names usually fit a person so well. You have a very cool name.
ReplyDeleteI agree when you say "changing my name would be like changing everything about me" I feel the same. I really enjoyed reading about your name it was interesting.
ReplyDeleteBlair, your name is so unique the only way I can describe it is, that it’s a spectacular combination. Very intricate in detail.
ReplyDelete